Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day 53 (Mar 5): Suwanee River to Ichetucknee Springs 60




Ichetucknee Springs

Odo 5559.2

There are a series of about six springs here which produce quite a lot of water forming a river. I stayed at the Ichetucknee Campground. I was looking at my map at a convenience store near the entrance to the Campground, and the guy who runs the store came out and said, "You're on the right road."

I said, "Yeah, I figured that. I just wanted to see if I should try to make the next campground."

He said, "Well, it'd be nice if you camp here. I've got plenty of spots, and there's no one else here. You can name your own price."

I said, "The going rate's about $10," and he said, "OK."

And then I said, "I've got about an hour and a half left, so I'm still trying to see if I can make it to the next campground."

He replied, "It's about 10 miles further down the road to the blinking red light. Then you take a right. And then, a mile or so further, the entrance to the park is on your left. But they have ticks in their campground, and I have a tick-free campground."

I was sold. I liked his sense of humor. I told him I'd go look at the springs, and then return to sign in. Apparently, Florida has more springs than any other state because it sits on limestone full of holes. Usually the water goes underground and stays there for about 40 years before coming back up.

I went to the little store to register, nuke an extra large cheeseburger, and dine like a king. The king of a very small, somewhat impoverished land. We talked about knives in China over his stock of literature extolling the wonders of our land. There was a big sign outside the store saying, "No fertilizers." Apparently, fertilizer gets in the springs and causes algae. The guy said he'd had the sign up for 30 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment