Sunday, March 28, 2010

Day 57, March 9, 2010: St Augustine to Silver Springs 86.60

Odo 5796.1
Actually, this is from Anastasia Island to Silver Springs. Details can be so pesky, don'tchaknow?

I felt better, and I think the accomplishment was finally sinking in to me. I was pretty tired after riding so many days straight, and in fact, I had not taken any rest days since Feb 12th, when I resumed the eastern part of the tour from the Blanco picnic table. Well, ok, there was one day where I only rode 25 miles, but I don't think that is as restful as not riding at all! Anyway, it occurs to me that I'm probably a lot more tired than I felt, and I do feel tired. I decide that maybe I can make it to Ocala, which is where I'm meeting up with Sara, who has driven from Austin to pick me up. Then I can just rest the next day, having arrived a day early. The only problem with this plan is that its about 90 miles to Ocala. I take a more direct route down the coast and then inland back to Palatka, where I stop again at Angel's diner, and have another one of those wonderful chocolate milkshakes! After lunch I realize that I have about 45 miles left to get to Ocala, and about 2.5-3 hours left to do it in. I figure its doable if I am diligent. Its very pretty going through the Ocala National forest, and I make pretty good time, however, it gets dark when I have about 5 miles left to go, so I stay at a motel in Silver Springs.

No comments:

Post a Comment