Sunday, March 7, 2010

Day 54 (Mar 6) Ichetucknee Springs to Gainesville 56


Odo 5619.4

I don't think I have any ticks, so I made the right choice.

I left late from the Springs because I knew it would be a short ride to Gainesville. One thing I've been noticing is that boiled peanuts are a big thing here. Nearly every convenience store has a sign offering them. I should probably try this local delicacy.

I've been wondering at the numbered streets in the countryside. I've seen them up to 50 miles outside Gainesville. Many roads have three names: the country road number, a street name, and a city number, e.g. County Road 232, Wheeler St., and NW 153d Ave. This seems to be an extension of the Gainesville street system; still, it's strange to encounter 50 miles outside of town. It's similar to the area around Phoenix, which our cousin, Benny Corchine, said was to accommodate future growth. Gainesville seems really spread out for a city of 100,000. Certainly, it seems larger in area than Tallahassee.

No comments:

Post a Comment