Friday, January 1, 2010

Alpine to Ocotillo 65






Odo 2462.0

Had a pretty slow start because although starting at 9:37 it took me about an hour to get to the spot I had stopped at the previous night. It was only about 4 miles, but it was 4 miles of steady climbing. Then the route goes onto I8. There is more climbing until we get to the top. Then the route goes thru a valley. Then back onto US80, which goes very close to the border. How close is that? About 50 yards. I got to see that fence pretty close up. About every 30 minutes a border patrol SUV would go by. Finally we rejoin I8 for the descent out of the mountains. The sign said "6% grade next 7 miles"! No kidding, my average speed was about 30, with a max of 41 for a few moments. The trucks were going down only a little faster. The downside is that there are tricky winds that demand serious attention. On the good side I am nearly instantly done with the day's riding, when I feared being a bit late. Camped at an RV park which looked to be nearly out of business. The restroom/shower was nice though.

No comments:

Post a Comment