Friday, January 8, 2010

Day 5: Blythe to Quartzsite, 25 miles




Got up late, got off late, talked to people. Went to MCD for
breakfast, and an older guy struck up a conversation, asked me about
the bike,then the usual stuff, then we talked about all sorts of
stuff. I gave him my contact info, the first one to go out! It seems
to me that San Diego area people were not very inclined to talk with
me. At all. Then again, that could be me infulencing the situation.

So back to the hotel to get going! Finally ready at about 10:30. I'm
just gone a quarter mile when I remember some email tasks, so back to
the hotel! I'm sitting against a palm tree with the iPod, and a guy
starts talking to me, asking about the ride. He used to live in Austin
and his father taught philosophy. Turns out that he is the son of Raja
Rao! I had taken a course from Raja Rao! Talked perhaps an hour.

So I left late, but the legs were tired, and I decided to just look at
stuff, and coasted and soft pedaled almost the whole way to quartsite.

Now, people are talking. The lady at Carl's, her husband rides, the
folks at the gas station who took some pictures for me, the people who
saw me riding with the lights (if they can't see you with those
lights, they shouldn't be driving! - two different people said the
same thing!).

Quartzsite, BTW, is sort of an RV city. So much so, I was disappointed when I saw the chamber of commerce, and it wasn't an RV.


No comments:

Post a Comment