Thursday, January 14, 2010

Day 18: Breathe Inn to Gila Cliff Dwellings & back 30.2

Odo 3315.8

So, I set off to do the climb to the cliff dwellings. This is about 20
miles. I have left most of my gear in the motel room, but stuff the
front panniers with clothes and stuff. The day looks perfect, blue
skys and sunny; it doesnt seem like it will actually snow today. It's
very cold as I start out, and right away it's pretty steep. I resolve
not to use the 36 front chainring, but after a fairly short distance I
am forced to use it. As I learn later, the climb going in is about 7
miles, the climb coming back is only 4 miles long.


At the top of the first climb




I get to the cliff dwellings and decide despite misgivings about snow possibilities to
take the one mile hike. It's a beautiful hike, and the site is
inspiring. As I look around, I think I hear thunder, and shortly it
begins to snow, or something that looks kind of like a cross between
snow and sleet - compact, somewhat soft mini snowballs driven by the
wind. It was a beautiful scene. Freaking out about getting back, I
start back down the path. At the bottom the ranger suggests that I go
inside the building and dry my hair before starting back. Then I put
on my rain gear, but the snow and rain has pretty much stopped.


Those black clouds are gonna snow!






On the way back I stop at Doc's and have a cheeseburger and coke, which turns
out to have been a bad idea. Then the return climb starts. I am
forced into first gear almost immediately, for a distance of about .5
mile, and the rest is done in 2nd. How steep is that first section?
Maybe about like jester. As I go up there are some snowflakes. After
about 3 miles of climbing the snow starts in earnest, and I continue
to keep my pace pretty energetic. I am almost at the top, and the snow
is sticking to the road - there are snowey patches... and then my rear
tire starts to slip. I get off and start walking. I am warm, I have
lots of extra clothes to put on, but it could be a long walk. A van
approaches slowly from behind, and he looks at me. I nod yes, but to
what question? He goes on a few yards then stops for me, and we put
the bike in the van and start off. He reminds me of Todd Rundgren, and
he used to race for Motobecane years ago. I like him instantly. We
have a very interesting conversation about his venture making windmill
factories in china. He says they will have about 20,000 windmill
factories there within three years! Anyway, for bragging purposes, I
was within 50 yards of the top when he picked me up! It's too bad I
didn't take any pictures of the snow, but I didn't want to take the
extra time.

No comments:

Post a Comment