Friday, January 8, 2010

Day 6: Quartzsite to Aguila 73


an interesting second hand store on the way to Aguila



The stretch of road I just came from



The stretch I am about to ride!



After a great meal at Coyote Flats Cafe



Got up late, left even later... I actually stopped at an RV sales
place on the way out of quartzsite to look at a spiffy RV built on the
sprinter frame - it was really nice inside, and only about 95
thousand.

The first part of the route was on I10 for about 10 miles. Then we
take hwy 60 toward Brenda, which was kind of another RV town. This
stretch was easy with a slight downhill and helpful side wind. There
are, however, psychological problems with straight roads. For
instance, the 20 mile straight stretch leading into Aguila just would
not go down. Even though I was making good speed (15-20, mostly 17),
there is a sensation of not making progress. Features that seem close,
never seem to get closer, and you obcess about it, which really
doesn't help. Next time, the iPod comes out! Finally I am nearly
there, and the Fairview RV park comes into view. It's $10.61, with
showers and laundry, and even grass for the tentsite. The guy knows
the drill - " which direction are you headed?" east. "going to
Florida?" yep! I ride into town for a grocery, stop at the first one.
It is a Mexican themed grocery; I select my stuff and notice they take
credit cards, which is a bit unusual in these parts. They run the
card, but it doesn't work. For the next five minutes they mess with
the phones and start tracing the wire route, moving stands of
merchandise to get behind them... I didn't want to wait another five
minutes, so I paid in cash. I got the feeling the phone is not used
too much! Continuing on, I eat at Coyote Flats cafe, had an excellent
steak for $10 - I almost wished I was staying another day so I could
get another one! The specials menu said you can cook it yourself, or
we can burn it for you!

Weather, I haven't mentioned it much, but the pattern is cold nights,
perhaps mid 40s, and pretty warm days, usually in the 60s, and sunny.
It's no wonder this is the high season for the desert.

No comments:

Post a Comment