Thursday, January 21, 2010

Day 24: Balmorhea to Ozona 161

Odo 3887.6

Ok, the overall average for the day's ride was 23.3 mph. While that
might sound good, I slowed a lot in the last 30 miles. The first 50
miles was at a pace of 26 mph! The first 123 miles was done at 25.6
mph!
So, you may infer that I had a tailwind. How strong was it? I think it
was supposed to be 20-35 mph. That, however, does not convey my
experience of it. I had a flat, and while working on it, I found it
difficult to stand steady. When I was through, I got on the bike and
just let go of the brakes. 8, 11, 14... 17. In less than a minute I
had gotten to a gentle downgrade, and the bike was going 31! On the
flat, a more pedistrian 24.  Whenever I stopped, it took a significant
effort to hold the bike back, we're talking real leaning into the
wind.
It's worth noting that this distance was done on a generally smooth
road with very gentle grades: interstate 10!
The other thing I have decided is that west Texas is best enjoyed at a
certain speed: the highest possible! In it's defense, many parts have
sweeping vistas that are quite beautiful, and it appears that *every*
day ends in a beautiful sunset, followed by a bright starry sky, the
kind that makes you realize that you haven't really seen the stars in
years, if ever. Kind of like the difference between faux wood finished
particle board, and antique rosewood.

No comments:

Post a Comment