Sunday, February 14, 2010

Day 33: Lockhart to Buescher State Park 50.48

Odo 4199.5 (morning)

I sleep late. I think this is mostly because it is cold in the
morning, and getting out of my warm cozy sleeping bag is very hard to
face. Every cold night I thank myself for getting a good sleeping bag
(a Marmut Pinnicle 15 degree). When I do get up, my hands hurt from
the cold while taking down the tent.
Today there is a generally favorable side wind, and I make good time
to Bastrop on the moderately busy hwy 20. It's bright and sunny and
gets to about 59 degrees by the time I stop in Bastrop at the
Hamburger Road House. While eating a car stops across the highway,
smoking. A waitress runs across the road to help them, calling 911.
It's only overheated, and the fire truck quickly assesses the
situation. The customers cheer the waitress!




The route then takes the park road between Bastrop and Buescher state
park. I have ridden this road before, but it has been years and I had
forgotten just how beautiful it was, and how steep some of the hills
were. I camp in Buescher, in a walk in area. All of the low lying
areas are soggy from recent rain. Even the park road had to be closed
from flooding, but it had been reopened by the time I reached it.

No comments:

Post a Comment