Saturday, February 20, 2010

Day 39: DeRidder to Mamou 70.37

Odo 4592.8

I got up at about 7:30, but Wolfram was already up, and he left at 8! I ended up leaving (effectively) at 11! I did my stuff, wrote an entry for the guestbook, and then rode back to DeRidder to eat breakfast. This added about 6-7 miles onto the day.



The day started with some light cloudiness, but got sunny in the early afternoon. There was a mild headwind, but progress was reasonable, riding through pine forests, ranchland, rice fields, and crawfish fields. At least, I thought they were crawfish fields, based on some strange boats that look like they were designed to harvest in the "fields"!

Arriving at Mamou, I searched out the RV park, and it was pretty minimal. There were also motel rooms, and the clerk said that he'd give me a room at the same price that "my buddy" got ($25). He also told me that the campground didn't have showers, so I went with the room. The room was only one step from condemnation and didn't even have a key, although the door did lock from the inside. The plumbing and heater worked, and there was a bed with sheets, so it was ok, but it is the most depressing room I've had yet. I decided even the laundry room I slept in was more cheery, although a little less functional as a room!



I rode back to the town and quickly encountered Wolfram, and we talked a bit. Then I continued on and ate at a Cajun restaurant that gave me about a 1.5 pound portion of fried catfish. I took about half back to the room, but I don't know what I'll do with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment