Sunday, February 28, 2010

Day 46 (Feb 26): Vancleave to Dauphin Island 72.22



Odo 5071.5

And I made it to sweet home Alabama. Well, maybe not my home, but beautiful Dauphin Island.

Stopped in Hurley, MS, at a bakery where I got some great chocolate chip cookies. Decided a balanced diet was needed, so I had lunch there at Lotta Burger - a steak sandwich. Steak sandwiches in Mississippi aren't like those Philly cheese steaks; they come chicken fried in the south!

Busy roads, but few stores or other stops. Of course, there are the ever present realty store fronts. I think they're even more ubiquitous than nail salons, although both are equally useful to me.

Wearing cycling attire here is a bit more difficult for the local folk to digest. It's mostly men who react to the clothes. This makes sense as a violation of the "male code" is taken more seriously here. No hostility from people in restaurants or stores, though. I'm surprised that the drivers are so hostile here because it is a rural area, and there are few driving irritations, the usual cause of driver meanness.

I took a short cut, but two thirds of it turned out to be dirt, and 10% of that was unrideable dirt. Luckily, it was short, and I was done pretty quickly, so the short cut was a success. It was a bit of a grind to get to Dauphin Island because, although it is flat, there was about an 8 to 14 mph headwind. This was on the 5 mile causeway to the island.




The day has been sunny & pretty, warm enough to take off my jacket, skull cap and mittens. I found the motel & checked in. The room was nice, with a ramp making it easy to get the bike inside. I turned the heater on and put the iPod in the vent hoping it would dry better than it did outdoors the night before.

I ate at a place called the Oar House. Good gumbo.

No comments:

Post a Comment